It's been weeks. I have been contemplating of removing the (dot)blogspot in my URL to make my domain really my own. I have read a number of reviews and tutorials over the web lately and now I am torn. Sigh. Wish I could turn back time. I could have done so when I "gave birth" to this blog. I wouldn't be so torn right now. Anyway, since my blog is just a "baby", I guess it's not yet too late. It's just been a little less that 3 months since I launched this blog. I will still be on the Blogger platform but I just want to change my domain to make it my own. You see, I have already fallen in love with this blog. Never thought blogging could be so much fun! :-)
I'm looking at three options. I don't know which is best. Price range is pretty much the same though, so I guess that could be a good thing.
- Do I get it straight from Google/Blogger? It's powered by either GoDaddy or Enom. I'm not familiar with Enom but I have read about GoDaddy. Will the transition be easier kaya if I get it straight from Blogger?
- GoDaddy. I have read a lot of both good and bad reviews about GoDaddy. Most reviews I read say that GoDaddy is the way to go. But, there's one blog I read wherein she said that she lost all her permalinks when she transitioned her blogger domain to GoDaddy. Oh, my! I don't want that to happen.
- NameCheap. I have read quite a number of good reviews about NameCheap but not as much as GoDaddy. However, I find NameCheap's tutorial much easier to follow.
I am also wondering, since I am not a techie kind of person:
- Will the transition going to be easy? I mean, I have no idea about DNS and stuff but I am willing to learn if that's how it takes to owning a domain.
- How long will the transition take? Minutes, hours, days?
- If ever I succeed in changing my domain for this blog, will people still be redirected to the new domain in case they type in my old domain's URL?
- What about my Nuffnang and other registrations? Do I have to update that too in case I succeed in removing the (dot)blogspot in my URL?
- I have read about masking. I don't know if I understood it correctly but does it happen automatically if I change? I mean, will people see the NEW domain name in their browser's URL field, the one without the (dot)blogspot, when they click on my old URL?
- Unlike the review I read about GoDaddy, I don't want to lose my permalinks. That sounds scary to me.
I'm weighing the Pros and Cons. The sad part is, I have no idea. Haha! :-D
Now I'm really, really torn. I have so many questions. I hope I could find the best tutorial on the web so I could go about this as soon as I can. Goodluck to me. Hihi! :-)
Did you undergo this too when you started your blog? Care to share? Please feel free to comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)